Base Building Blocks 2.3.0
Submitted by HolaKo on Wed, 11/07/2012 - 23:23
I just pushed Base Building Blocks version 7.x-2.3.0 up to github, and would like to outline some of the major changes. :)
The Template SystemI decided to start utilizing the template system a little more by echoing the regions in the page templates, and using
region--region_name.tpl.phpto add custom wrapper dom. (As opposed to using includes and separate files for each region) I took this as an opportunity to put some default
field.tpl.php, and a few
region--region_name.tpl.phpin Base Building Blocks, as you might frequently need to add custom templates. You can just copy the default ones and modify to hearts content. :)
The FunctionsThis version of Base Building Blocks introduces a number of new functions, and a new way of organizing the (now large) collection of functions. There are now a number of new files in the
/functionsdirectory that contain functions that pertain to the file's name. It makes function look-ups more easy and organized.
The MenusI've updated the way the Administration menu works, and added a few other types of menus that you can print, like mobile select list menus. I have also added settings in the theme administration panel that allow you to add custom icons (like so:
Menu Name|icon-name) to each menu item in navbars and other menus printed in Base Building Blocks. Be sure to checkout the
/functions/menus.incfile and checkout the new functions available. I hope to greatly improve the way they work in the near future, but this will work well for now.
- Documentation: Really needs to be written/updated. :)
- Drupal 8 branch: Drupal 8 is coming soon. Base Building Blocks will be supporting it on the day it's released.
- Better Menu Support: Drupal's menu api frustrates me. I'm going to work on some better helper functions.
- More Administration UX Improvements: I'll be brainstorming ways to make Drupal's administration better. Tweet me suggestions! PLEASE! Any input is welcomed and valued.
- A Starter Module: I'm going to start working on a module that will extend Base Building Block's features. Right now I have plans for it to include a collection of blocks, permissions, etc.
- A good WYSIWYG Editor: I intend on spending a good amount of time finding/building a WYSIWYG editor for this theme. I'm quite tired of using the WYSIWYG module with the unintuitive editor options. (don't get me wrong, I like the WYSIWYG module, but I want to build a really nice, polished, lush editor.)